This week the GBBO bakers take on classic Victorian recipes; to celebrate here’s our vegan and gluten free Victoria Sponge recipe:
The delicious treat takes about an hour (including cooling time) and serves twelve.
For the sponge:
- 300g Pure Dairy Free Sunflower, plus a little extra for greasing
- 300g gluten-free plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 300g golden caster sugar
- Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 200g dairy free (soya) yogurt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon agar agar
For the filling:
- 200g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 100g Dairy Free Sunflower
- 100g raspberries
- 4 tablespoons raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/gas 5 and grease two 20cm cake tins with the Pure Dairy Free Sunflower spread, then line the bottom with greaseproof paper and dust the sides with gluten-free flour.
- In a bowl, beat the Pure Dairy Free Sunflower spread and sugar for 5mins/until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla essence along with the yoghurt and lemon zest and mix until combined.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and agar agar into the bowl, then fold through. If it’s a little thick, you could add in a splash of rice or almond milk.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins, then place on the middle shelf of the hot oven for 15-20mins or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 5 mins, before turning the cakes out onto a wire cooling rack, then leave to cool completely.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl, then add the Pure Dairy Free Sunflower spread and beat until smooth. You can add a splash of rice/almond milk to loosen if it’s too thick.
- Once cooled, place one of the sponges on a plate or cake stand. Carefully spread the butter icing on top and scatter over most of the raspberries.
- Spread the jam onto the second sponge and place, jam side down, on top of the iced sponge, pressing down slightly. Dust the top with a little icing sugar and decorate with the remaining raspberries.
- Take a photo and enter it into our #bakedairyfree competition .