We are very excited about the next episode for GBBO as it’s Alternative Ingredient Week; where bakers are challenged to make gluten, sugar and dairy free bakes!
To celebrate we’ve made a dairy free Arctic Roll:
- 5 very ripe bananas (frozen)
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 50ml of melted Pure Dairy Free Sunflower Spread
- A knob of Pure Dairy Free Sunflower Spread, for greasing
- 3 eggs
- 100g golden caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 100g plain flour
- Half tsp baking powder
- Quarter tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
2. Line a 24 × 32cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment with plenty left over and grease
well. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thickened and pale.
3. Fold the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract into the egg mixture with a large metal
spoon until there is no flour visible.
4. Gently tip the mixture into your prepared Swiss roll tin and bake in the oven for 15 mins
or until lightly golden and springy to the touch.
5. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 12 mins or until cool enough to handle, then
carefully roll up the sponge while it’s still warm (keeping the baking parchment attached). Leave to cool completely in its rolledup shape.
1. Take out the bananas out from the freezer for ten minutes to soften
2. Add the softened bananas and remaining ingredients into a food processor and whizz up
into a smooth icecream like consistency.
3. Place the ice cream into a container and place inside the freezer until the Artic roll is
ready to be assembled.
1. Uncurl the sponge and spread the jam of your choice on the inside. Working quickly, unwrap the ice cream and put it on top of the jam. Roll the cake up around it.
2. Wrap the Arctic roll in a new sheet of baking parchment and a layer of foil too. Return to the freezer for a further 2030mins, then unwrap, slice and serve immediately.
3. Once assembled, take a picture and share it on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #bakedairyfree to be in for a chance to win our competition.