This week the bakers take on pastry, including Frangipane; this is a pastry filling that is made or flavoured with almonds.
Here’s our take on a Frangipane tart; taking just over an hour to make (1 hour 15mins) this recipe is gluten and dairy free, serves six.
- 80g rice flour
- 70g millet flour
- 60g maize flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 140g Pure Dairy Free Sunflower (chilled)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- 160g grounds almonds
- 70g caster sugar
- 80g Pure Dairy Free Sunflower
- 50g rice flour
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 3 medium pears
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 350F/180C (160 Fan).
- Sift the flours and salt into your food processor, and then add the # Pure Dairy Free, then pulse the mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix the egg yolk and water together and slowly add the liquid to the flours, pulsing until the dough begins to come together.
- Tip the dough onto your work surface and gently press into a disc.
- Wrap with clingfilm and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30mins.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry until it’s large enough to line the base and sides of your dish.
- Lower in the pastry into the dish, pressing it gently over the base and into the walls and corners, trimming away the excess pastry from the top edge.
- Transfer to the refrigerator to rest again for at least 15 mins.
- Remove the dish from the fridge and prick all over the base with a fork.
- Line with a piece of greaseproof paper and fill with ceramic baking beans (or dried beans) and bake for 12mins at the higher temperature, then remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 2mins, then finally, turn the oven down to gas mark 3, 325F/170C (150 Fan).
- While the pastry is baking make the frangipane filling: put all of the ingredients, except the pears, into a bowl and beat until smooth (or use a food processor and process for 30 seconds).
- Spread this evenly in the pastry case.
- Peel, half and core the pears and then push these pieces, middle facing up, into the frangipane in a pattern of your choice.
- Bake at the lower oven setting for 25–30mins, until the filling is firm at the centre, and the top a deep golden brown.
- Cool for 15–20mins before serving.
- Sprinkle the top liberally with sieved icing sugar, take a picture, and enter it into our #bakedairyfree competition for a chance to win some incredible prizes!